Footway Crossing applications

Bath & North East Somerset Council is responsible for maintaining public highway footways/pedestrian pavements. A crossing across a public footway, pavement or verge for your vehicle to gain access to your property from the highway is known as a "dropped kerb" crossover or a "footway crossing". It must be built to specific standards and approved by your Council and in some cases planning permission will also required.

This page covers the process of application to lower the kerb for vehicular access to your property.
If you require a lowered kerb for disabled access and egress to and from a section of footway, known as a Mobility Crossing, please contact


You will need

 The process

  • First you must complete sections 1, 4 and the sketch plan of the HDPQ planning form.
  • Once you have received written confirmation from Planning Services you can proceed with your application to drop the kerb.
  • Complete the Footway Crossing application form which you can download from this page or request via post or email by contacting Council Connect on 01225 394041.
  • Send the completed application to the address stated at the top of the form.  There is an administration fee of £141. Once we have received the application we will telephone you to take debit or credit card payment over the phone. 
  • As the application is progressed a Council Highway Inspector will undertake a site visit to determine if your application is suitable to be approved. Any difficulties with the access/egress of vehicles or obstacles e.g. a telegraph pole, will be noted at this point and you may be contacted by the Inspector.
  • The Council also contacts local utility companies to determine the location of buried utility apparatus which could be affected by the work. This information is provided to the applicant.
  • You will receive written notification as to whether your application is successful.  You must not proceed with the work until you have received this.
  • If your application to drop the kerb is approved you will need to arrange to have the work done by a NRSWA accredited contractor This work is done at your cost.
  • Before the works commence you should advise the Council of your contractor details.

This process can take up to 4 weeks to complete and may take longer if formal planning permission is required.

If a footway crossing is built without first being granted permission by the Council a retrospective application must be made. This will cost an administration fee of £100 and if this application is rejected the footway must be returned to its original condition at the cost of the applicant.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.7 (18 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.