The Chief Medical Officers in the UK advise that physical activity is important for all older adults.
Keeping active helps you to:
• Age well and enjoy life.
• Stay independent.
• Have a healthy heart.
• Reduce falls.
• Keep up with children you know.
• Meet people and share the company of others.
• Feel happier and keep your brain sharp.
• Age better.
The health benefits of physical activity outweigh the risks. However, contact your doctor if you are worried about increasing your physical activity levels.
What activities are available locally?
- Boccia Buddies at Bath Sports & Leisure Centre - every other Thursday 11:30 - 12:30. FREE with all equipment provided.
Boccia is a disability sport that tests muscle control and accuracy and is very similar to the games of bowls and petanque. Find out more here.
- Walking football - sessions across Bath & North East Somerset with Age UK and Wednesday afternoons at Twerton Park.
- Walking Netball - Saturday morning sessions at Culverhay Sports Centre 10:30 - 11:30am for 7 weeks from 2nd September 2017. Would you like to train as a 'host' and deliver walking netball sessions? We can support you! Contact email@example.com.
- Age UK Activities - lots of activities available including T'ai Chi, Walking Groups, Walking Football and EXTEND exercise classes.
- GLL 60+ CLub Membership - Monday and Wednesday drop-in social sessions at Odd Down Sports Ground plus inclusive memberships.
- Try Active - community cycling, running/walking and inclusive outdoor fitness sessions.
- Try Active Walking sessions.
- Try Active GoodGym project - GoodGym incorporates running with doing something good in the community which makes your run even more worthwhile.
- Wellbeing College - lots of local activities and courses to help you connect, give, be active, take notice and keep learning - the five ways to wellbeing!