The Local Plan is the primary basis for deciding planning applications. It sets out policies which guide how and where development should take place up to the year 2011.
It influences where people live and work and what facilities are available to them. It therefore helps to achieve the development that is needed whilst at the same time protecting and enhancing local character and the environment.
If you would like to request a copy of the Local Plan click here for details on how to purchase a hard copy of the Local Plan
The Local Plan was adopted on 18th October 2007. A copy of the adoption notice can be accessed here. The Local Plan has been saved under the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.
The Bath & North East Somerset Local Plan has now superseded all existing adopted Local Plans. The plan will form part of the development plan for the area of Bath & North East Somerset. The development plan forms the basis for decisions on land use planning affecting that area.
Councils in the West of England (Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, and Bristol) have produced the Joint Waste Core Strategy. The Joint Waste Core Strategy is a Development Plan to set out the vision and objectives for sustainable waste management and sets the planning framework up to 2026 reflecting the waste hierarchy. It contains Development Management Policies and has superseded most of the Local Plan waste management policies.
Local Plan policies superseded by the JWCS:
- WM1 (Development of waste management facilities)
- WM3 (Waste reduction and the reuse in development proposals)
- WM5 (Waste transfer stations and material recovery facilities)
- WM6 (Recovery of materials from waste brought to landfill)
- WM7 (Household waste recycling centres)
- WM8 (Composting facilities)
- WM10 (Thermal treatment with energy recovery)
- WM12 (Landfill)
- WM13 (Landraising)
- WM14 (Agricultural land improvement schemes)
- WM15 (Time extensions for landfill, landscaping or agricultural land improvement schemes)
Local Plan policies not superseded by the JWCS:
- WM4 (Waste recovery and recycling in new development)
- WM9 (Community composing facilities)
For more information please go to the West of England Partnership website (link to external website).
Some of the Local Plan policies will be replaced by the policies in the Core Strategy but as this is not currently scheduled to be adopted until December 2011, the Council made a request to the Secretary of State to extend the life of relevant policies in the Local Plan to ensure there is a comprehensive robust planning policy framework for the District beyond 2010.
A decision letter and schedule has been received from the Secretary of State setting out which policies will be saved. These policies will be saved for an indefinite period until replaced through the Local Development Framework. The Schedule of saved policies can be viewed below:
- Local Plan Saved Policies Secretary of State letter (2010)
- Local Plan Saved Policies Secretary of State letter - Policy NE16 Direction (2010)
- Schedule of Saved Policies
Copies of the adopted plan are available for inspection at the following offices:
- The One Stop Shop, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG;
- The Hollies, Midsomer Norton, Bath, BA3 2DP;
- Riverside, Temple Street, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1LA.
PDF files of the Proposals Maps can be viewed on the Local Plan Adopted Proposals Maps page.
The Proposals Map can also be viewed as an interactive map using the "Services in Your Area" function in the top-right corner of this page.
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment has been prepared on behalf the Council by expert consultants. It supersedes existing data on flood risk including the indicative floodplain used in the Bath and North East Somerset Local Plan. Click here to find out more.
- The Inspector's Report, May 2006
- The Inspector's Addendum Report - Hayesfield Playing Field
- The Inspector's Addendum Report - South West Keynsham
- The consultation on the further modifications to the Bath & North East Somerset Local Plan in 2007
- Schedule of Proposed Modifications to the Local Plan Proposal Maps
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.