This page gives access to the flood risk studies that form part of the LDF / RDP Evidence Base. Information on the status of the documents below, as well as on the other topic areas, can be accessed from there.
Please read the important information regarding the LDF/RDP evidence base studies before accessing and reading the document below.
The flood risk studies available are:
- Bath Flood Risk Management Project
- Bath Compensatory Storage Study
- Flood Risk Management Study (FRMS)
- Sequence and Exception Tests
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA)
- 4.1 SFRA - Background information
- 4.2 SFRA Level 1 for Bath & North East Somerset
- 4.3 SFRA Level 2 - Background Information
- 4.4 SFRA Level 2 for Bath
- 4.5 SFRA Level 2 for Keynsham
- 4.6 SFRA Level 2 for Midsomer Norton and Radstock
Bath Flood Risk Management Project - Letter of Compliance, Environment Agency, February 2013
- Bath Flood Risk Management Project - Technical Note
- Bath Compensatory Storage Study Phase 1 - Final Report, November 2011 (2.5 MB)
- Bath Compensatory Storage Study Phase 1 - Appendix A, November 2011 (7 MB).
- Note on Reviewed Flood Storage Volume used as the basis for the WYG Bath Compensatory Storage Study Phase 1, November 2011 (3.0 MB)
- FRMS Scoping Study, May 2009 (0.5 MB)
- FRMS Report, June 2010. Please note that this file is 6 MB
- FRMS Report Appendix A - Tender Brief (0.08 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix B - Proposed Options (0.07 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix C - Bath, June 2010 (1.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix C - Keynsham, June 2010 (0.9 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix C - Midsomer Norton, June 2010 (3.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix D - Econonmic Appraisal (0.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix E - High Level Appraisal Matrix (0.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix F - Detailed Level Appraisal Matrix (0.2 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix G - Traffic Light Matrix Table (0.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix H - Flood Risk Management Options Table & Optioneering Sketch. Please note that this file is 9.8 MB
- FRMS Report Appendix I - Site Specific Reports. Please note that this file is 4.2 MB
- FRMS Appendix J - Option Cost Breakdown (0.1 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix K(a) - Photos of Typical SUDS Installations (0.6 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix K(b) - SUDS Site Assessments & Indicative Costing (Bath). Please note that this file is 19.1 MB
- FRMS Appendix K(c) - SUDS Site Assessments & Indicative Costing - Keynsham (3.2 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix K(d) - SUDS Site Assessments & Indicative Costing - Midsomer Norton (4.7 MB)
- FRMS Appendix K(e) - SUDS Site Assessments & Indicative Costing (Radstock). Please note that this file is 5 MB
- FRMS Report Appendix L(a) - Development Site & Compensatory FDA Location Plans - Bath Figure B1 (0.8 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix L(b) - Development Site & Compensatory FDA Location Plans - Kensington Meadows Figure CSA 1. Please note that this file is 6.1 MB
- FRMS Report Appendix L(c) - Development Site & Compensatory FDA Location Plans - Keysham Figure K1 (0.5 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix L(d) - Development Site & Compensatory FDA Location Plans - Midsomer Norton Figure MN1 (0.5 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix L(e) - Development Site & Compensatory FDA Location Plans - Radstock Figure R1 (0.2 MB)
- FRMS Report Appendix M - Workshop Proceedings (0.1 MB)
- Flood Risk and Sequential Test Update, March 2013.
- Sequential and Exceptions Tests, November 2010 (1.2 MB)
- Sequential and Exceptions Tests, November 2010 - Appendix B Part 1 (7.5 MB)
- Sequential and Exceptions Tests, November 2010 - Appendix B Part 2 (3.5 MB)
The Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) is a high-level assessment of the flood risk in Bath and North East Somerset. It has been prepared on behalf of the Council by expert consultants. It supersedes existing data on flood risk including the indicative floodplain used in the Bath and North East Somerset Local Plan.
The SFRA provides essential information for the allocation of land for development and the control of development in order to limit flood risk to people and property where possible and manage it elsewhere. The SFRA will provide the information needed to apply the sequential risk-based approach required in national Planning Policy Statement 25.
Bath and North East Somerset Council has completed a Level 1 and Level 2 Strategic Flood Risk Assessment for the district. Details on each of the assessments, including reports and maps are available on this page. Click here for an explaination on the levels of SFRA.
Due to the size and technical nature of the maps in each of the reports not all of the maps are available on our website. However copies of the SFRA including all maps are available for inspection on Mondays to Thursdays 9.00 am to 5.00 pm and Fridays 9.00 am to 4.30 pm at the following offices:
- The One Stop Shop, 3-4 Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JQ;
- The Hollies, Midsomer Norton, Bath, BA3 2DP; and
- Riverside, Temple Street, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1LA
Caution: The SFRA are live documents which are intended to be updated as new information and guidance becomes available. The outcomes and conclusions of the SFRA may not be valid in the event of future changes. It is the responsibility of the user to ensure they are using the best available information when making a land planning decision.
Planning Policy Statement 25 (PPS25) sets out Government policy on development and flood risk. It's aims are to ensure that flood risk is taken into account at all stages in the planning process to avoid inappropriate development in areas at risk of flooding, and to direct development away from areas of highest risk. Where new development is, exceptionally, necessary in such areas, policy aims to make it safe, without increasing flood risk elsewhere, and, where possible, reducing flood risk overall.
In order to achieve this the Council is required to apply the Sequential Test at all stages of planning. The aim of the Sequential Test is to steer new development to areas with the lowest probability of flooding. The SFRA refines information on probability of flooding, taking other sources of flooding and the impacts of climate change into account.
- Planning Policy Statement 25 Development and Flood Risk
- Development and Flood Risk: Consultation on a Practice Guide Companion to PPS25
- These documents can be viewed from www.communities.gov.uk
The Level 1 Assessment was completed in April 2008. All reports are available to download below, please note that due to the technical nature of the maps they are not currently available on this website. Please see the Level 2 Assessment for detailed place base maps. The Level 1 SFRA including maps can be viewed in Council offices, please see the note above for more details.
- SFRA Level 1 for B&NES Executive Summary, Capita Symonds (0.6 MB)
- SFRA Level 1 for B&NES Technical Report - this outlines assumptions and processes used to prepare the flood risk information (0.9 MB)
- SFRA Level 1 for B&NES User guide - this contains procedures and protocols for using the technical information and also an assessment of flood risk at a number of allocated development sites (0.5 MB)
- SFRA Level 1 for B&NES User Guide - Appendix A (12.4 MB)
- SFRA Level 1 for B&NES Management Guide - this provides a summary of procedures and protocols for management and maintenance of the SFRA document and supporting data and models (0.3 MB)
The SFRA level 2 report builds upon all of the technical information and methods used in the Level 1 assessment of flood risk across the study area. The report is intentionally partitioned from the SFRA Level 1, as it does not repeat guidance contained within the SFRA Level 1. The need for a Level 2 SFRA is primarily driven by regeneration and new development requirements outlined in the B&NES Local Plan and the draft South West Regional Spatial Strategy. Level 2 SFRA has been undertaken to provide greater understanding of the factors contributing to the probability of flooding in the potential development areas, provide guidance for Local Development Framework policy.
The Level 2 Assessment for the district is divided into 3 parts. These are Bath, Keynsham and Midsomer Norton and Radstock. The reports for each of the 3 place base assessments are available to view on this webpage along with a selecton of the key maps supporting the SFRA.
- Report (PDF - 0.4 MB)
- Key Map - Map F Flood Zone (PDF - 3 MB)
- Key Map - Map FF Functional flood plain (PDF - 2 MB)
- Key Map - Map A2 Flood depth (PDF - 0.4 MB)
- Key Map - Map A3 Velocity (PDF - 1.35 MB)
- Key Map - Map C Climate change (PDF - 1.38 MB)
- Key Map - Map L Surface water flooding (PDF - 0.4 MB)
- Report (PDF - 0.5 KB)
- Key Map - Map F Flood Zone (PDF - 1.9 MB)
- Key Map - Map FF Functional flood plain (PDF - 1.8 MB)
- Key Map - Map A2 Flood depth (PDF - 0.4 MB)
- Key Map - Map A3 Velocity (PDF - 0.3 MB)
- Key Map - Map C Climate change (PDF - 0.3 MB)
- Key Map - Map L Surface water flooding (PDF - 0.3 MB)
- Report (PDF - 0.6 MB)
- Update, Capita Symonds, June 2011 (0.5 MB)
- Key Map - Map F Flood Zone (2.2 MB)
- Key Map - Map FF Functional flood plain (0.7 MB)
- Key Map - Map A2 Flood depth (0.7 MB)
- Key Map - Map A3 Velocity (0.7 MB)
- Key Map - Map C Climate change (0.7 MB)
- Key Map - Map L Surface water flooding (0.3 MB)
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.