Reason for policy
What we will do
- We will never disclose information you pass onto us unless it is a matter of building or patron security or that the subject is illegal and must by law be passed on to other authorities. We will notify you of this before taking information forward.
- Any information held on your library account will not be divulged to any other person than the account holder
- We will not show you any personal details held on a computer, without first protecting our computer screens from other library users vision
- If you instruct us that the conversation you wish to hold is of a sensitive or private nature we will not continue the conversation on the library floor or counter where other members of the public are within the vicinity but look for a more private area around the library.
- If you tell us you want to discuss issues away from all public areas, we will endeavour to discuss your issues within a private room, however, in the interests of staff safety, we will insist that two members of staff are present or that the door remains open.
- We will not disclose any of the conversation to any other staff or member of the public unless it is deemed necessary. If we do need to document the conversation then we will keep a note on your library membership account and take written notes if you so wish.
Who does it apply to?
- To any library user who wishes to speak to a staff member
- Any staff member who speaks to a library user
What should I do if I feel this policy has been broken?
- Write to: Libraries Manager, Libraries, PO Box 3403, Bath, BA1 2ZG
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01225 39 40 41