All the information you could need at your fingertips...
We have a number of online resources that we purchase for you to use 24 hours a day. Some of these resources are specific to library members and will require your membership number.
Access to Published Academic Research
Free access is now available to over 1.5 million academic articles via the desktop shortcut on public access computer terminals (Peoples Network) in Bath & North East Somerset Libraries. Get in-depth information on topics including: art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences. Ideal for small businesses, researchers and students.
Click on the icon for 'Access to Research'
Want to find something different to read? We can help you right here...
You can browse the list of available titles and articles here but please note you can only access the journal text via the Public Access computers in any Bath & North East Somerset Library.
- LibrariesWest Catalogue - Search for and reserve items, renew your loans and update your details (joint catalogue for Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Dorset & Poole public libraries)
- COPAC - Merged online catalogue of the British Library, 24 major university research libraries in the UK & Ireland and the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales
- Discover - Search for items from Libraries, Museums & Archives in the UK
- Fantastic Fiction - Comprehensive lists of fiction authors
- RNIB Library - Catalogue of resources in formats accessible to the visually impaired
- Which Book? - Choose a book online to suit your mood!
- Who's Who and Who Was Who - This wonderful resource provides short biographies of all the movers and shakers in the UK. Take a look and see if you have famous relatives or ancestors!
- BBC - General news & Information from the BBC
- KnowTheNet - Provides information and advice about using the internet, keeping your children safe online and cyberbullying as well as other topics
Oxford University Press Products
Oxford University Press produce some of the best reference books available. We are able to bring these to you as part of an exciting national initiative. Click on 'Library Card Login' if you do not get access. You will need to key in your library card number.
- Dictionary of National Biography - This famous dictionary gives authoritative biographies of around 50, 000 British people. Many have pictures and all are interesting
- Oxford English Dictionary - This world famous dictionary can be browsed easily at your PC. Find out where words came from as well as their meaning
- Oxford Music Online - Formally Grove Music, and totally reorganised, this resource is a wealth of information on all types of music
- Oxford Art Online - This used to be Grove Art, this has now expanded its image collection. It also contains depth articles on all types of art, artists and art movements. It also has a huge library of images. Find your favourite Picasso
- Oxford Reference Online - This allows you to access some of the other best information sources from OUP
Online Newspapers & Journals
- Local papers "Thisis"... news from Bath, Keynsham, Midsomer Norton and surrounding areas.
- Times Digital Archive 1785-1985 - Find any news story, obituary, birth notice and more from the Times Newspaper. Download a facsimile copy of the relevant page from the Times. This fascinating database is fully searchable.
- NEWSBANK - Get the latest news from around the world. You will find articles from all the national daily papers in the UK, and many more from around the world, including the New York Times, China Daily, Washington Post and many more. Please note that this contains only the text of the articles, and has no pictures. Holdings go back to 1985 for some newspapers, including the Times.
- Directory of Open Access Journals - A directory of over 3,000 quality controlled, full text, scientific and scholarly journals covering a wide range of subjects and languages.
Other information and research websites
- Check out our Information and Research Websites section