General information - layout, waste collection, pests, ice machines and food allergens

The link below provides new food businesses with start-up information for a variety of catering establishments including restaurants, cafés and mobile units.

Have you and the staff who will be working in the food business had any food hygiene training?

Below is a link to food hygiene training providers both online and at training centres.

Fitness to work

Those who are handling and preparing food must be fit to work. You need to ensure that they have not been suffering any illness so that they do not spread their infection to others when handling food. 

The link below has information on fitness to work procedures for food handlers to help prevent the spread of infection.

Layout and design of the food business

Have you considered the layout of the food preparation area?

Below is a link to a new food business guidance document which has lots of useful information including on page 5 guidance relating to the food preparation area layout.


Regulations regarding food allergens came out at the end of 2013. These regulations require that food businesses providing loose foods (foods which are not pre-packaged) to provide information on allergens within the items served. The Food Standards Agency website provides resources which can be used by food businesses.

Allergen training is available at Bath and North East Somerset Council. Please see this website link for details

Contact 01225 396759/477508 or email:

Video links

There are 10 short videos on the Food Standards Agency which you may find useful to look at. They provide information on different areas of food safety and hygiene.  It can be beneficial for your staff to look at these as well.

Using reputable suppliers

You need to ensure that you source your ingredients and products are from reputable suppliers. This section is included in the Safer Food Better Business Pack

Ice Machines

If you use an ice machine in your business you need to ensure that it is emptied and cleaned regularly. The correct cleaning procedure needs to be used by referring to the manufacturers servicing and cleaning instructions. If there are no manufacturer’s instructions to refer to then do the following:

•             Switch the machine off

•             Empty the ice storage bin including any residual water from the melted ice.

•             Clean and disinfect all the internal surfaces using a suitable food safe sanitiser.

Scoops, tongs and ice buckets should be cleaned and disinfected on a weekly basis. The easiest way to do this is by putting the items through a glass washer or a dish washer.

Ice scoops should not be stored inside the ice machine. Ideally they should be stored in a container of food safe sanitising solution. The solution needs to be changed on a regular basis so that it remains effective.

Waste Collect and Pests

Waste Oil Collection

Waste oil needs to be disposed of safely so ensure it does not block drains and become a food source for pests.

This is some guidance on the safe disposal of fats, oils and grease

Details of waste oil disposal can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.

Waste Collection

Do you have a waste contractor to come and collect your general waste? 

Do you have suitable bins to store the waste in before it is collected?

Ensure that as the business grows you have a sufficient number of bins and collections to cope with the amount of waste that you are producing.  The waste area needs to be maintained in a clean and tidy condition to prevent odours and attracting pests.

Pest Contractor

Have you considered how to prevent pests gaining access to the food business?

There is some further pest information which can be found on the Food Standards Agency website

Information on pest control and pest control services available at the council

What to expect from food hygiene inspections

These website links give advice on what businesses can expect from a food hygiene inspection and an explanation as to how the food hygiene rating scores are completed and what they mean for food businesses.

Changes to the Business

Please ensure that you update the council with any changes to your business including change of activities you are undertaking, change of trading name and if there is a change of food business operator. Advice and guidance can be given if you change the food activities which you are undertaking.

Eat Out Eat Well Award

This is a healthy eating award for food businesses that provide customers with healthier choices. There are 3 levels of the award Bronze, Silver and Gold. For more information on how you can be part of the award and some guidance documents on aspects to think about regarding healthy eating please follow the link below.

 Primary Authority

If you have a number of establishments in different local authorities you can adopt one as your Primary Authority.  You can asset up a formal relationship with that authority to give tailored advice and guidance specific to the food activities being undertaken. This is at an agreed cost based on the time the assistance required. Other local authorities must consult the Primary Authority if they encounter any issues.  Below are links to further information on the primary authority scheme.


Trading Standards

You need to ensure that the description of the food you are selling is correct.

 Shop scales and alcohol measures need to be accurate to prevent the sale of goods by short measure or weight.

Building Control and Planning

Have you considered if you need planning permission for the premises?

Are you a new business creating or making alterations to an existing building?

Building Control Information

Telephone: 01225 477517 email:

Health and Safety

Have you considered health and safety in the work place? 

The Health and Safety Executive provides details of risk such as slips, trips and falls in the work place.

If you are using gas appliances they need to be checked by a gas safe registered engineer to ensure that they are safe to use. The gas safe register website provides a list of gas safe registered engineers. You need to ensure that the engineer is qualified to work on non-domestic equipment.

Have you considered the cleaning products that you use? Do you provide staff with guidance on what protective clothing to wear when using the cleaning products? Further information can be found on the Health and Safety executive website.

Control of substances hazardous to health- chemicals and data sheets

Fire Risk

Have you considered health and safety and fire regulations?

Ventilation guidance

Have you thought about the ventilation required in the kitchen? For the amount of cooking being undertaken and the equipment being used it is important there is adequate ventilation in place.

Legionella Risks

Does the water supply have any dead legs (unused pipes) are there any facilities which are not used regularly by staff such as showers which are available for staff to use before or after work?

Legionella information and risk assessments.

Business rates

This is some general information regarding business rates and information for new businesses.

Guidance and advice for new businesses

Help us improve our website

Help us understand how people group our service.

Take part

Become a website tester

If you would like to be contacted by a member of our team to help us understand how people use our website please leave your details below.


To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.