In some circumstances, we can disregard a live-in carer when counting up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a Carer's Discount to reduce your bill by 25%.

There are two types of carer (as defined by Council Tax legislation), the professional carer and the “unpaid carer or relative”.

Either could be disregarded (not counted) for the purposes of calculating Council Tax provided the following criteria are met.

The Professional Carer

A person will be disregarded if they are;

  • Engaged to provide care and support to a person on behalf of either a Local Authority, the Common Council of the City of London, the Council of the Isles of Scilly, the Crown or a Charitable Body,
  • They are employed by a person to whom they are providing care and they were introduced by one of the above,
  • They are employed to provide care for at least 24 hours a week, and are paid no more than £44.00 per week,
  • They are resident in premises provided either by the relevant body (i.e. the charity) or by the person to whom they are providing care.

The “Unpaid Carer or Relative”

A person will be disregarded for the purposes of council tax if they are;

  • Providing care to a person who is in receipt of:

    i. An attendance allowance under section 65 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992(2);

    ii. The highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance under section 72(4)(a) of that Act;

    iii. An increase in a constant attendance allowance under the proviso to article 14 of the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983(3), or under article 14(1)(b) of the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc. (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 1983(4);

    iv. An increase in the rate of his disablement pension under section 104 of that Act; or

    v. The standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment under section 78(3) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012; and

  • Resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom they are providing care;
  • Providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average;
  • Not the spouse or partner of the person being cared for, or the child’s parent if the person being cared for is under 18. 

Apply for Carer's Discount

Print off the application form, fill it in and return it to us:

Email - scan it and send it to us at

Post it to - Council Tax, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG

Can't print the form? Call us on 01225 47 77 77 (during office hours*) and we’ll send you one.

(*office hours are: Mon, Tues & Thurs 8:30am - 5.00pm, Weds 9:30am - 5:00pm and Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm)

After you've applied for the discount

You must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

We periodically check accounts that have been granted discounts and exemptions, and we reserve the right to use credit reference agencies to validate claims. If we contact you to review your discount and we don’t hear back from you, we will cancel it.

You must tell us if there is a change in your circumstances that may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.



Help us improve our website

Help us understand how people group our service.

Take part

Become a website tester

If you would like to be contacted by a member of our team to help us understand how people use our website please leave your details below.


To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.