If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances as soon as they happen. It is an offence not to tell us about any changes of circumstances that may affect your benefit.

It's your responsibility to keep us informed of any changes which may affect your claim. It's important that we are kept informed of any changes in your circumstances so that we can keep your claim up to date. The earlier you report a change the more likely it is that no overpayment will need to be re-paid.

Changes in circumstances and Universal Credit

Most working-age claimants who have a change in their circumstances will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit

We will tell you if the changes in your circumstances mean that you need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Changes you need to tell us about

You need to tell us about all sorts of changes in your household’s circumstances. Below are some main examples of changes that you, your partner, or any other members of your household should inform us of:

Changes in household income:
  • Earnings increase / decrease
  • Starting / stopping / changing work
  • Changes in pension amounts
  • Any changes to other benefits
  • Sudden increase in capital (for example, receiving an inheritance payment)
Changes in the household:
  • A partner moving in or leaving (if leaving, we will need to know the date they moved out and their forwarding address)
  • Any friends, family or new tenants moving in or out (even if someone is staying on a temporary basis, you should let us know) 
  • Any births or deaths
Changes in rent and residency:
  • Rent increase / decrease
  • Moving out of the property
  • If you are expecting to be in hospital for more than 13 weeks 
  • If you are going to be away from your property for more than 13 weeks

How to report a change in your circumstances

The best way to let us know about any changes in your circumstances is to visit a One Stop Shop in Bath, Keynsham or Midsomer Norton. Alternatively you can email the details to benefits@bathnes.gov.uk or telephone 01225 47 77 77 during office hours*.

(*office hours are: Mon, Tues & Thurs 8:30am - 5.00pm, Weds 9:30am - 5:00pm and Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm)

We will need to know all the details about any changes and the dates that they happened. We will also ask to see evidence of these changes if they affect your claim. For more information about the types of evidence we'll need to see, please download and read the 'Evidence leaflet' on the forms and leaflets page.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.7 (3 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.