What happens after I have submitted my application for a street collection permit?

On receipt of your application we will check that the charity is registered.

How long will it take to process my application?

Once you submit your online application, your permit will be sent to you automatically by email.  If you submit an application by email or post this will take longer.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

Relevant Legislation


There are legal regulations for carrying out Street Collections, which include what collectors must and must not do.  A copy of these regulations are sent to you with the permit, but you can print a copy using the link above if you prefer.

Within one month of the collection, the Council must have received a financial return, known as a Form of Statement, showing how much money was collected and how much of this went to the charity.  It must also be signed by a qualified accountant.  A blank Form of Statement will be sent to you with your permit, but you can print a copy using the link below if you prefer:

Form of Statement (PDF 42 KB)

Permitted Collection Areas

Collections for Bath city centre are authorised for the following streets only:

  • Burton Street
  • Northgate Street
  • High Street
  • Union Street
  • Stall Street
  • Abbey Churchyard
  • Southgate (Any collectors wishing to collect in the Southgate area of Bath must first obtain permission from info@southgatebath.com).

Collections for Midsomer Norton are not authorised on the pedestrianised area outside Sainsbury's/The Hollies.

Areas to Avoid

Big Issue sellers have been allocated pitches at the following locations in Bath, so you must avoid collecting in these areas:

  • outside the Body Shop, Burton Street
  • outside Molton Brown, Union Street
  • between Pret a Manger and Costa, Stall Street
  • between Abbey Churchyard and Kingston Parade
  • outside HMV, Stall Street
  • outside JJB Sports, High Street
  • outside the Podium, Northgate Street

For further information on The Big Issue, please contact:

The Big Issue
Lombard House
30 St James Parade
Bath  BA1 1UJ
Telephone:  01225 337050
Email:  info@bigissue.com
Website:  www.bigissue.com

Customer Complaints

If you have a complaint about a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader – preferably by letter with proof of delivery.  If that is unsuccessful and you are in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will assist you.  If you are outside of the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you believe a collection is taking place without a permit, please contact Licensing Services.

More pages about Street Collection Permits

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.