What happens after I have submitted my application for a house to house collection permit?

On receipt of your completed application form we will check that the charity is registered and also that your chosen collection dates are available.

If the dates are not available, we will contact you by phone or email to agree an alternative.

If your application is successful, your permit will be sent to you by email.  With your permit, we will also include:

  • ‘Form of Statement’
  • Copy of Collection Regulations
  • Order form so you can obtain your collectors badges badges from The Stationery Office (TSO)

Before you can carry out your collection, you need to order and pay for your badges from The Stationery Office (TSO) using the order form we send with your permit.  It is best to apply as early as possible before you plan to hold your collection to ensure you have enough time to order your badges.

How long will it take to process my application?

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

If your application is refused you have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal or decision.

Relevant Legislation

House to House Collections Act 1939

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted.  Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.
Laws can and do change.  Information was accurate when produced, but may have changed since.  We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.


There are legal regulations for carrying out House to House Collections which include what collectors must and must not do. A copy of these regulations will be sent to you with the permit.

Within one month of the collection, the Council must have received a financial return (‘Form of Statement’) showing how much money was collected and how much of this went to the charity. It must also be signed by a qualified accountant. A blank Form of Statement will be sent to you with your permit.

Collecting without a permit, any breach of regulation or failure to provide a return can lead to prosecution.

Customer Complaints

If you wish to make a complaint please complete the online submission form.

More pages about House to House Collection Permits

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.