Details of vets who can carry out inspections at dangerous wild animals (DWA) establishments:

Garston Vets 

Kingston Veterinary Group

What happens after I have submitted my application for a DWA licence?

On receipt of a valid application we will arrange for an Animal Welfare Officer to visit you to inspect the premises.  We will also consult with the following:

  • Avon Fire and Rescue
  • B&NES Development Control

The Council must satisfy itself that:

  • the granting of the licence is not contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety, or nuisance;
  • the applicant is a suitable person to hold the licence;
  • the animal's accommodation is escape proof, and suitable;
  • the animal will be suitably fed and visited at appropriate intervals;
  • the animal is protected;
  • precautions are taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases;
  • the animal can take adequate exercise.

To ensure the above, the Council must consider a report by a vet.  Also the licence can only be issued to the person who owns and possesses the animal.

Even if all these pre-requisites are met, the grant or refusal of a licence is entirely within the Council’s discretion.

DWA Licence Conditions - PDR Format (7.91 KB)

How long will it take to process my application?

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

If you are:

  • refused a licence; or
  • wish to appeal against a condition attached to your licence;

you can appeal to Bath Magistrates’ Court.

Relevant Legislation

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

Customer Complaints

If you have a complaint about a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader – preferably by letter with proof of delivery.  If that is unsuccessful and you are in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will assist you.  If you are outside of the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.  If you believe a person is keeping a dangerous wild animal without a licence or is operating in breach of their licence, please contact Licensing Services.

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional Contact Details

More pages about Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA) Licences

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.