Details of vets who can carry out inspections at animal boarding establishments:

Bath Vet Group

Garston Vets 

Kingston Veterinary Group

Midsomer Veterinary Centre 

What happens after I have submitted my application for an animal boarding licence?

On receipt of a valid application we will arrange for an Animal Welfare Officer to visit you to inspect the premises.  We will also consult with the following:

  • Avon Fire and Rescue
  • B&NES Development Control

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Licences are subject to a set of standard conditions:

The Council may also add conditions specific to your establishment if it considers it necessary.

How long will it take to process my application?

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

If you:

  • are refused a licence; or
  • wish to appeal against a condition attached to your licence;

you can appeal to Bath Magistrates’ Court.

Relevant Legislation

Animals Boarding Establishments Act 1963

Trade Associations

Customer Complaints

If you have a complaint about a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader – preferably by letter with proof of delivery.  If that is unsuccessful and you are in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will assist you.  If you are outside of the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.If you believe an animal boarding establishment does not have a licence or is operating in breach of its licence, please contact Licensing Services.

For details of licensed animal boarding establishments in Bath & North East Somerset please see the Licensing Database webpage.

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional Contact Details

More pages about Animal Boarding Licences

        Your rating: 

        No votes yet
        To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.