Renewal of Personal Licences:  The requirement to renew a personal licence after ten years is no longer necessary from 1 April 2015 following Government deregulation.  There will, however, be a requirement for the personal licence holder to notify the Licensing Authority of any relevent or foreign offence.


Personal Licence


All sales of alcohol must be made by, or under the authority of, a Personal Licence Holder.  Not everyone who makes a sale has to hold a Personal Licence, as long as a Personal Licence Holder has authorised the sale.  This does not apply to Qualifying Clubs or premises operating under a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

You may decide to become a Personal Licence Holder if you want to apply for more than five TENs a year.

You must normally apply for your Personal Licence to the Council in whose district you live.  If you do not live in the United Kingdom, you can apply to any Council that issues Personal Licences.



Other fees include:

  • £10.50 for replacement of licence due to theft, loss etc.
  • £10.50 for replacement of licence due to change of name or address

You may pay in person or over the phone (01225 477531) using a credit or debit card.  Please note that although there will be no charge for debit cards, there will be an additional charge of 2.5 % for credit card payments.  You may also pay by cheque (made payable to "B&NES Council").

Please be aware we are not able to accept cash payments.

Eligibility Criteria 

You can apply for a Personal Licence if you:

  • are aged 18 or over
  • have not forfeited a Personal Licence in the past five years
  • have obtained a current criminal records check
  • have obtained the relevant licensing qualification*

    *This requirement can be waived if you are a person of prescribed description under s.120(2)(b) Licensing Act 2003.  This includes, for example, a person operating a premises under a licence granted by the Board of Green Cloth.



Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by all of the following:

1.  The fee.

2.  A completed Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration form. 

This form is a declaration that you have not been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence, or, if you have been convicted of a relevant/foreign offence, gives details of the nature and date of the conviction and any sentence imposed.  A relevant/foreign offence that is spent within the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 need not be declared.

3.  One of the following Criminal Records Certificates:

The certificate must be dated no earlier than one calendar month before your application is received by Licensing Services.

4.  The original or a certified copy of the Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders.

This qualification can be obtained from any of the following providers:

5. Two photographs

These must be:

  • Taken against a light background so that the applicant’s features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
  • 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres.
  • Full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to their religious beliefs, without a head covering.
  • On photographic paper.

One of these photographs must be endorsed with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification

6. Right to Work

From 6 April  2017, anyone that apples for a Personal Licence must provide proof that they are eligible to reside and work in the UK.

Please see the guidance notes attached to the Personal Licence application form for further information about acceptable documentation.

Application Form

Forms are available on the following webpage:


There is no consultation process.

However, if you have an unspent conviction for a relevant or foreign offence, we will notify the Police that you have applied for a Personal Licence.  They will have 14 days to object to the application.

If they believe the granting of a Personal Licence will undermine the crime prevention objective, they can make an objection against the application.


If we receive an objection from the Police, we will arrange a hearing with the Licensing Sub Committee, who will decide whether to grant the Personal Licence.


If the application is valid, and you do not have any unspent convictions for a relevant or foreign offence, we will issue your Personal Licence.

Tacit Consent 

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Right of Appeal 

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.


 No conditions are attached to the Personal Licence.


A Personal Licence is valid from the date it was issued and portable throughout England and Wales.  No renewal will be necessary, but licence holders must inform the Licensing Authority of any change of name or address or of any relevant conviction.


Guidance notes are available on the following webpage:

Personal Licence holders should also read the attached document:

Duties of a Personal Licence Holder (PDF 24 kb)

Relevant Legislation 

Trade Associations 

Customer Complaints 

If you believe a person is selling alcohol without holding a Personal Licence, or without the authorisation of a Personal Licence holder, please contact Licensing Services

Further Information 

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional contact details.


National Fraud Initiative

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form within this authority for the prevention and detection of fraud.  It may also share this information with other bodies administering or in receipt of public funds solely for these purposes.  For further information see the Council website and look for the National Fraud Initiative under the A-Z or contact the Information and Governance Team, Guildhall, High St, Bath BA1 5AW email

Help us improve this content

Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Data protection notice

Data protection notice

The information you have provided may be shared across Bath and North East Somerset Council for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry. We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless your consent has been given or the law allows this.

The use of your personal information is covered by our registration under the Data Protection Act 1998. You can, under this legislation, request a copy of the information we hold about you. If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know.

Bath and North East Somerset Council is committed to upholding the principles of the Data Protection Act, and will not process your information in a way incompatible with these principles.

The Council’s Information Compliance Office can be contacted on (01225) 477000 or via email at

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.