Holy Trinity Churchyard, Bishop Sutton, was closed by an Order in Council on 23rd June 1993. Its grounds maintenance then became the responsibility of the Parochial Church Council who passed it on to Bishop Sutton Parish Council on 30th November of the same year.
Stowey Sutton Parish Council then issued notice to Wansdyke Council of its intention to transfer this responsibility to them. This took place three months later on 28th February 1994 and devolved from Wansdyke to Bath & North East Somerset Council at its inception in April 1996.
Maintenance of grounds
The maintenance regime in place at present is to cut all churchyards fortnightly (weather permitting). All pruning, hedge cutting, etc., is carried out as winter works after the grass cutting season has ended. However if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact the main office.
The council's arboricultural office keeps the trees under a 3 yearly review and agrees minor works with the volunteers. All major tree works are carried out by the council's tree specialists
Bereavement Services carries out a 5 year rolling programme of memorial testing to ensure that memorials are preserved as well as possible. The council does not have the right to restore memorials, but it does have the responsibility to make the cemetery a reasonably safe place to visit which enables it to lay down any memorials in danger of falling. Safety in cemeteries has improved so much since such programmes were introduced, that now the main benefit from testing is to ensure that memorials are not left to rot until they fall smashing themselves, or neighbouring memorials, or both, in the process.
World War 11 war grave - Tpr Alfred George Walker, Royal Armoured Corps. died March 1942.