What do we collect?
Any raw or cooked food, including all of the list below.
- Meat and fish; raw, cooked, including bones
- Fruit and vegetables; raw, cooked
- All dairy products; including milk and cheese
- Bread, cakes and pastries;
- Rice, pasta and beans;
- Uneaten food; from your plates and dishes
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Unopened packets of food past the 'Use by' date (but please take them out of their packaging first and recycle this if you can)
NEW from May 5 2014 food waste recycling collections will start in some flats with communal recycling bins. Find out more Recycling for flats
Putting out your waste correctly
Use your food waste container correctly by wrapping your food waste in newspaper or using a compostable food waste liner before putting your food inside.
Please do not put any plastic bags, packaging, liquids, oil or fat in with your food waste. You can take large quantities of used cooking oil to our Recycling Centres.
If you cannot get to a Recycling Centre, you can soak small amounts of old cooking oil into any newspaper or kitchen roll used to wrap your food waste, and put in your caddy for your food waste collection.
This service is part of our weekly recycling and waste collection.
You can order a food waste bin via our ordering a container webpage. For food waste liners, there are range of local and online suppliers.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.