Details of vets who can carry out inspections at riding establishments

The inspection of of riding establishments must only be carried out by a current member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons/British Veterinary Association.  

 A list of members is available on the RCVS website

The following vets are currently members of the RCVS who have said they can carry out inspections at Riding Establishments within the B&NES area:

Hale Veterinary Group

Kingston Veterinary Group

What happens after I have submitted my application for a riding establishment licence?

On receipt of a valid application we must consider the vet's report and their advice as to whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment.

The following criteria will also be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose;
  • that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition;
  • that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses;
  • that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed;
  • that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals;
  • that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained;
  • that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed;
  • that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided

Licences are subject to a set of standard conditions:

Riding Establishment Licence Standard Conditions

The Council may also add conditions specific to your establishment if it considers it necessary.

How long will it take to process my application?

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

Relevant Legislation

Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970

Trade Associations

Customer Complaints

If you have a complaint about a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader – preferably by letter with proof of delivery.  If that is unsuccessful and you are in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will assist you.  If you are outside of the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.If you believe a riding establishment does not have a licence or is operating in breach of its licence, please contact Licensing Services.

For details of licensed riding establishments in Bath & North East Somerset please see the Licensing Database webpage.

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional Contact Details

More pages about Riding Establishment Licences

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.