- Updated: Consultation on the Issues and Options: 22nd November 2017 to 10th January 2018
- Consultation Events
- How to comment on the Local Plan 2016-2036 Issues & Options document
- Consultation on the West of England Joint Spatial Plan
Last updated: 13th December 2017
Bath & North East Somerset is preparing a new Local Plan for the District, through which the Core Strategy is being reviewed. The new Local Plan is being prepared alongside the West of England Joint Spatial Plan which will provide a new strategic planning context for all four West of England Districts for the period 2016 - 2036. Consultation on the Draft Joint Spatial Plan is also taking place now (see below).
The new B&NES Local Plan will include a strategy to guide development, site allocations (including strategic development locations and smaller sites) to meet development requirements and district-wide Development Management policies for determining planning applications.
In November 2016 the Council published a Commencement Document when people had the opportunity to comment on the issues to be addressed in the Plan. The Options stage is the next stage in preparing the Local Plan and will be split into two phases. The first phase (comprising two periods of consultation) will be a discussion around options and the second phase will be consultation on the preferred approach. Phase 1 covers options for four broad areas:
- Vision & Priorities
- Where new development should be located
- Strategic Development Locations
- University growth and student accommodation requirements
This consultation is your chance to comment on these options. A second options consultation (Phase 1b) will take place in the spring of next year and will focus on Development Management policies that require review and place-based strategy issues. A further period of consultation will take place in the summer of 2018 on the preferred approach (including strategic development sites and smaller site allocations).
The consultation documents, background evidence and on-line consultation portal are available via the links below:
- B&NES Local Plan Options Stage 1a document
- Evidence Base and Background Papers (Updated 13/12/2017)
- Sustainability Appraisal
- Habitats Regulations Appraisal (HRA) Assessment
- Frequently Asked Questions
You can also view the the B&NES Local Plan Options Stage 1a document at the following locations during opening hours:
- Council offices:
- The One Stop Shop, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
- The Hollies, Midsomer Norton, Bath, BA3 2DP
- Civic Centre One Stop Shop, Temple Street, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1LA
- At all public libraries in the District, including the mobile libraries
- At the drop-in sessions (details below).
We will also be holding a number of staffed exhibitions throughout the District (details below), which members of the public are welcome to attend and discuss issues with officers.
Somer Valley: The Board Room, Bath College Somer Valley Campus
|Tuesday 28th November (3pm - 8pm)|
Whitchurch: United Reform Church Hall
|Thursday 30th November (3pm - 8pm)|
Keynsham: Civic Centre Community Space
|Monday 4th December (3pm - 8pm)|
Bath: Brunswick Room, The Guildhall
Friday 8th December (3pm - 8pm)
Monday 11th December (3pm - 8pm)
Alternatively you can:
- email your comments to email@example.com
- send your comments in a letter to Planning Policy, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1JG.
- Comment forms are available on request.
Please note that all comments will be made publically available.
Please ensure your comments on the B&NES Local Plan Options reach us by Wednesday, 10th January 2018.
Please note that consultation on the B&NES Local Plan Options is taking place in parallel with that on the Joint Spatial Plan. These are two separate consultations. If you wish to participate in the Joint Spatial Plan Examination you must comment on the Draft Plan - please visit the West of England website for further details on how to participate: https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/consult.ti